Saturday, February 23, 2008

R Todd King: China Photos 2007 - Harbin

R Todd King: China Photos 2007 - Harbin: "Welcome to... Beijing after an ice storm? No, this is “The Eighth Annual Harbin Ice and Snow World”, China’s premiere winter event. Unlike my previous visits to this ice festival, first in 2003 and then again in 2005, I decided to start my visit here near sunset - around 4pm - to see its layout before dark. I’m glad I did: the festival seemed far larger than before and it now takes a while to see the full setup. Additionally, the festival, which used to be laid out from south to north, is now oriented from east to west, allowing for some dramatic sunset photographs of the main ice structures. This is the Harbin Ice and Snow World entrance, which itself grows more grand every year, before the crowds arrive."