Saturday, July 29, 2006

Lessons from the Navy

: "Part 4: Lessons Learned from the Whole Sorry Affair

* Don't ever write anything you would be ashamed to sign. I learned this lesson before I left the hallowed halls of OCS, and have followed it religiously ever since.
* Keep your word. 'Nuff said there.
* Don't be content with the path of least resistance -- have the courage to stand up for your convictions. I'd like to say I mastered this particular concept early on, but I can't. It is a lesson you have to keep teaching yourself over and over for your entire life.
* If the system's broke, the way to get somebody to fix it is not to find the easiest work-around, but to insist on using the system the way it was intended to be used and letting the results speak for themselves.
* Work through the chain of command. If you don't, your voice will never have credibility with those who can make changes, and your point, however well- taken, will be justifiably ignored."